TMM Stories: A Love Letter to Mindanao by Asia Aportadera


A recent article by blogger Loving Mama featured a science show performed by one of our consultant scientists, Asia Aportadera. The science show was conducted for the guests of The District North Point in Bacolod, as part of The Mind Museum's efforts to reach out to the public in different provinces, especially in Visayas and Mindanao. Asia performed seven demonstrations to the delight of the audience, especially the kids, who learned more about how science plays a role in our everyday lives.

In this entry, Asia shares a letter she dedicates to Mindanao, where she currently resides and has also performed many of her shows. 


Dear Mindanao,

The past seven months have been quite an adventure. I gather my science gear, pack up the car, and drive to various parts of your land. Not only have I seen the most beautiful and untouched destinations, but I have also met the most sincere and driven teachers, and their curious and excited pupils. So far, I have only been able to introduce very simple experiments in the form of science shows to schools and institutions, but I have received the warmest welcome and the brightest of smiles. 



These experiments are executed in such a way that leaves anyone watching wanting to know more about it. Thus, a chain reaction has been created, one that eventually becomes a habit.

I think the best part for me so far is seeing that twinkle, that spark in a young mind, when you know you've gotten them thinking about science in a different way. Sometimes, science can have a negative reputation, and I'm here to change that. I know it sounds cliche, but that is the best part of my job. 



I look forward to the future and I am delighted knowing that someday, these kids - even if it is just a one in fifty chance - may grow up to be a scientist. 

By the way, thank you for introducing me to your sister, Visayas. I was able to travel there last September. After arriving at the airport, I saw tons of banners inviting everyone to go to the event. It was such a huge success! It was truly an awesome experience for me because so many families dropped by! I hope to do more shows for your sister too. Oh, and if you happen to know anyone who wants to donate to our cause, please send me their contact details. I think we can also do science shows in the public schools around your land and your sister's.



Again, thank you so much, Mindanao. I am so blessed to have been given the opportunity to get to know you and your people.

More power, 
Asia Urquico-Aportadera


Want us to do science shows in your province or for your school? Please leave a comment below! We'd love to hear from you. 

To learn more about the Mind Museum's upcoming and regular activities, visit our website, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment