TMM Stories: This Year's Halloween With The Mind Museum by Angelo Lorenzo


Today's guest writer is Angelo Lorenzo Gomos, one of the volunteers for The Mind Museum's Halloween Experiment Circus in Centrio Mall (Cagayan de Oro). Angelo is a graduating Development Communication student from Xavier University, and a fiction and poetry writer. He represented his university for the 8th Federation of Agricultural Students in the Northern Mindanao Congress for the Essay Writing category, landing third place. 

Below is his account from his personal blog, in which he shares his volunteering experience.



     Halloween is usually among the annual holidays that I don't consider interesting or necessary to celebrate/commemorate compared to Easter, Christmas, or the New Year. I guess this consideration stemmed from the culture that Halloween is all about scares and spooks - phenomena I used to despise when I was a child because I have always shivered at the idea of horror back then. 

     This year, I have finally experienced the joy of celebrating Halloween and I guess my paradigm about this holiday has gradually shifted. It's all thanks to the science exhibit in which I have been honored to have taken part of. 


     Back in September, a close friend of mine tagged me in a promotional photo on Facebook. Displayed in the photo was the name of this science exhibit and its call for volunteers. Although I was initially hesitant because I was unfamiliar with this science exhibit and because of the long list of academic requirements (thesis being the top of them) that I had to finish at that time, my friend still encouraged me, stating that this would give us an incredible experience and it would also give us something special to do in the semester break (which covers the Halloween season). Opening my door for this opportunity, I grabbed the courage to apply as a volunteer. 

     I have to admit that I was completely overwhelmed when I was chosen to be among the final volunteers of the exhibit. During our orientation and practices before the exhibit took place, I learned that the Mind Museum (its name) bears the reputation of teaching children science by exhibiting colorful and mind-blowing experiments in ways that the children can easily comprehend. The main museum is located in Bonifacio Global City, Taguig. 

      With its aim to share and promote extraordinary educational experiences to science enthusiasts all over the nation, it finally reached Northern Mindanao for the first time and took place at Centrio Ayala Mall in Cagayan de Oro City on October 31, 2015. Displaying diverse experiments in the field of science (from glowing bubbles and fake blood concoctions to frosty smoke and ghostly illusions), the exhibit was attended by more than a hundred children garbed in varying costumes. 


     In addition, there were speakers from Manila that unraveled the secrets behind paranormal photography, shared knowledge about archaic techniques on mummification, and broke the myth of the zombie culture in their informative talks. 

     Being among the volunteers (Mind Movers as they call us) of the event is reason enough to claim this year's Halloween experience as the most memorable. The display which I was assigned to was known as the Pepper's Ghost, and it involved darkness, proper lighting effect, and glass or any transparent object for a certain illusion to transfigure. 

     This display was located inside a dark tent and we encouraged and welcomed the attendees to come inside the tent so we could present our display. One of the illusions was the image of  minion (the one in "Despicable Me") inside a prism that was nestled on top of a cellphone screen. It was a reflection of an actual minion shown in the video played in the cellphone. 


     Because it was held on Halloween, all the Mind Movers wore costumes fit for the event. There were some who were dressed as fairies with glittering wings, some as witches with pointy hats, and others as zombies with their faces painted red to symbolize blood. I chose to be a mad scientist with darkened eyes to magnify horror and a lab suit to impersonate the role. My partner in the display was a zombie bride - with inspiration from Tim Burton's "The Corpse Bride". 


     I may have met some challenges during the exhibit and one that was most particular was explaining to the children the science behind the illusion. Some of them were so amazed by the illusion, that all their attention seemed directed towards the image of the minion. However, I understood their amazement because I was once a child as well, and I would have done the same if I were in their place. 




     It was the first time that I actually celebrated Halloween according to how modern pop culture celebrates it - with a costume. Consequently, my experience of this year's Halloween will forever have its place in my lair of memories; and it's all because of being part of the first Mind Museum event in CDO along with the company of great people whom I now consider as my friends. 


Did his experience inspire you to want to volunteer for The Mind Museum's events and programs? For volunteer opportunities, email us at volunteers@themindmuseum.org. 

To learn more about the Mind Museum's upcoming and regular activities, visit our website, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment