Mind Moving Moments: The Mind Museum Internship Experience


Last April to May 2016, the Mind Museum partnered with the CAMP Summer Internship Program - a program where high school students can attain a fulfilling learning opportunity by working in an organization or company for a period of 4-8 weeks.

The Museum also hosted student interns from Palawan State University, one of its partners for the MakerSpace Pilipinas program.

Having just completed their internships, the following are excerpts from their experiences: 

Anica Neri is a student of Colegio San Agustin, currently in senior high school. 

"Working at The Mind Museum for the summer has been an opportunity that I will never regret. The experiences and lessons I've learned are the kind that school doesn't teach you. Friendship and family bonds were formed - unforgettable, and irreplaceable. Honestly, you don't really get tired of the museum.


Every time I'd miss a workday, I'd immediately feel like I was missing something, probably because I was missing out on all the fun stuff that was happening in the museum. 

I can't wait to volunteer in more of the museum's exclusive activities in the future. Seeing the work and effort behind the Science Sleepover was really satisfying, since you see that all your hard work paid off. 

Just because I worked as a photographer doesn't mean I didn't see the hard work and sleepless nights the Mind Movers were doing. I really admire them and hopefully I'll be as hard-working as they are."

Avery Chan is a high school student from Immaculate Conception Academy. 

"It is difficult to summarize everything I learned over the course of seven weeks. I learned how to project my voice, how to interact with a large crowd, how to communicate science well - and in Filipino! 

Volunteering allowed me to appreciate science all the more. The Mind Museum sparked my curiosity for science. I enjoy learning about science now, and although I was never a fan of Biology, I am looking forward to having it as a subject in school for the upcoming semester. 


A word to describe my internship at The Mind Museum would be fulfilling. We are told to appreciate the little things in life, and that served as my mantra during the many weeks. I was never good with kids, but I began to appreciate the Junior Mind Movers (JMM). 

When I guided one of the JMM groups, they weren't the only ones who learned. By helping the kids go out of their comfort zones, I was able to do the same. It made me feel very happy to think that I made some sort of a difference in their lives through science."

Jana Codera is a high school student from San Beda College - Rizal. 

"My internship has become an amazing learning experience - it has taught me an array of things: from the most basic concepts in science to appreciating science itself. They have intensified my love for chemistry even more. 


Aside from all those, from loving my stay at The Mind Museum because of all the knowledge the institution has imparted on me, to being a Mind Mover intern, has become a really vital part of my life because it made me keen to learn. I used to be really studious, but sometimes my classes would get boring, and my teachers lacked enthusiasm.

You could barely learn a thing, so I got tried of exerting real effort in studying. However, The Mind Museum changed that. The people, tools, and equipment around me have made my environment more competitive and my life more challenging. 

TMM has made me love learning once more, and that's something I'll never forget."

Garret Dychiao is a high school student from Xavier School. 

"I recalled that on my first week, I thought to myself: I bet I'd get tired of this by the 6th week I'm here. Never have I been so wrong. Rather than being tired each day and dragging myself to work, I found myself filled with enthusiasm for each encounter. 


As the days went by, I began to remind myself of what The Mind Museum really stood for. On our orientation during our first day, a Mind Mover explained to us that the museum was dedicated to sharing and inspiring the public knowledge of science through accessible and understandable communication.

 As that thought sunk in, I saw that in reality, it was only the Museum that would be able to do that in our entire country. The Philippines has not invested in establishments that try to enhance the public's interest in science, and ultimately, that was something that made the thought of leaving The Mind Museum hurt even more."

Szarrii Lim is a high school student from Immaculate Conception Academy. 

"Ever since grade school, science has always been my least favorite subject. Learning about how things work, whether it's about our body or about chemicals that compose certain substances, has never been my forte, or has never caught my interest at all.

But as I started my internship in The Mind Museum, I was honestly falling in love with science for the first time in my life. I felt myself learning to love it more and more as I continued interning. Honestly, I've learned and understood even more stuff in this short period of time than in an entire semester of science class. 


Being around people that love science and really appreciate it makes a big difference. You see how science can make someone so in love and hungry for more, that it makes you want to try it out yourself."

Michael Baguna is a student of Palawan State University.  

"I can't find the perfect words to describe my experience here, it's so much fun and knowledge-filled. Even though I'm an engineering student, I enjoy teaching other people new things.


During Makerspace Pilipinas, I also enjoyed teaching children Arduino Programming and the proper use of tools. Those moments are special to me, because I've taught those children something useful and productive, and that is priceless. You guys inspired me to do other things than solving mathematical problems, and thinking of mechanical parts."


Maria Perrene Solis is a student of Palawan State University. 

"As an Engineering student, we just do solving, listen to our professor, take whatever lessons they teach, take our exams and review, and memorize formulas. But in our stay here, we experienced how to teach, ask and interact with the different people entering the museum. 

The Mind Museum is not only for children or students, adults may also learn something from here. As we do every task, we are learning and at the same time enjoying."

Franz Garett Baaco is a student of Palawan State University. 

"I've learned so much about communication, science and teaching, that can only be learned through experience. 

We're always told that we must be passionate about what we talk about. Because excitement is contagious, if you inspire even just one of the kids in the audience to be a scientist when they grow up, that's more than enough."


Did their experiences inspire you to want to volunteer for The Mind Museum's events and programs? For volunteer opportunities, email us at volunteers@themindmuseum.org.

To learn more about The Mind Museum's upcoming and regular activities, visit our website, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment